Unoccupied Property Insurance

  • Insure unoccupied property for 3, 6, 9 or 12 months
  • Buy online in minutes
  • No Policy Fees
  • Support from our UK based in-house claims team
Unoccupied Property Insurance

Arrange insurance for unoccupied property online in a couple of minutes

Whats on this page

On this page you will find a lot of useful information to help you when insuring unoccupied property. Our online quote journey has been designed for residential properties. If you are looking to insure unoccupied commercial property, please contact us

If you need help, please start an online chat. If we are offline, leave your email address with your question and we will respond as soon as we can.


Why choose Insuristic when insuring unoccupied property?

  • You are protected by the Financial Ombudsman Service should you have a complaint with any of our services. So when you buy from Insuristic you know you are in safe hands.
  • We are an independent Insurance broker and only work with A Rated insurance providers.
  • We have developed our insurance policy specifically for people who need to insure unoccupied property, which makes it easier for you to understand the cover and buy a policy.
  • If you need to make a claim on your unoccupied home insurance policy, you will have access to our inhouse claims team. They will help you submit a claim and will manage the process from start to finish on your behalf.

Why get a quote from Insuristic

  • You won't find our unoccupied home insurance on comparison sites.
  • If you don't know the property rebuild value, we can provide a quotation based on the number of bedrooms
  • Cover for non structural renovations costing less than £50,000
  • Property owner’s liability up to £2,000,000.
  • You can insure just the buildings; or
  • Extend cover to include contents
  • Property Inspections are only required every 14 days

When you get a quote from Insuristic you can:

  • Tailor the cover to suit your requirements

  • Buy cover for most types of property

We have made it easy when insuring unoccupied property but if you need help, our team are only an online chat away.

You can find out more about the cover you can buy, property inspection rules and guidance on our renovation acceptance criteria below.

Unoccupied Property Insurance Cover Comparison

The cover provided by our unoccupied home insurance product depends on the level of cover you have purchased. You can compare our 3 levels of cover below:
Select the level of cover you wish to learn about from the menu:

Insuring Unoccupied Property

Leaving your home property empty for extended periods comes with new risks, requiring adjustments to your typical insurance coverage.

This guide delves into the world of unoccupied property insurance, helping you to remain protected even when you're not around.

Why Standard Home Insurance May Not Suffice:

Most standard home insurance policies only cover unoccupied homes for a limited time, typically around 30 days. Beyond that, insurers often:

  • Apply stricter conditions: These may involve increased risk management and security measures or limitations on what's covered.

  • Raise your premium: Empty homes carry a higher risk for insurers, particularly for burst pipes, fire, theft, and vandalism, which is reflected in a potential price hike.

  • Decline coverage altogether: Some insurers simply won't cover unoccupied properties.

Common reasons why people need insurance for unoccupied property

A property can become unoccupied for a number of reasons. Here are some of the most common examples:

  • Probate: The probate process can leave the property empty for months. Insuristic has developed a probate house insurance product specifically for this purpose.

  • Selling a house: The gap between selling and buying can mean an empty previous home.

  • Renovations: Major home improvements often necessitate temporary relocation.

  • Extended vacations: Frequent travelers may need short-term unoccupied coverage when they are away for more than 30 consecutive days.

  • Landlords between tenants: A gap between tenants can mean landlords need to consider insuring unoccupied property.

  • Business trips: Frequent business travelers need protection when their home is empty for periods of 30 days or more.

  • Investment properties: A newly purchased property is often empty whilst it is being renovated ready for you or tenants to move in.

  • Executors insuring the estate: If you are an executor, we have developed an executor home insurance page to explain your responsibilities and our probate house insurance cover.

  • Power of Attorney: Taking care of an empty property for someone in care requires specialised coverage.

Why insuring unoccupied property is not the same as standard home insurance

While standard home insurance covers your occupied home, it doesn't provide the same level of protection for an unoccupied property. Here's how unoccupied property insurance differs:

Enhanced Security Measures:

  • Regular Inspections: Insurers require regular inspections (weekly, monthly, or bi-monthly) to ensure the property's security and prevent issues like water damage, vandalism, or squatting.

  • Isolating water and draining down the system: To avoid costly burst pipes, insurers recommend or mandate isolating and draining down water systems during extended vacancies.

  • Keeping the heating on during the winter months: Burst pipes can wreak havoc on your property, leading to costly repairs and water damage nightmares. This is why your insurer will require you to keep the heating on to at least 15° if you haven't drained the water systems.

  • Switching off utilities: like electricity and gas minimises fire risk and reduces energy waste while the property is empty.

The contents single article limit:

Unoccupied property insurance often restricts coverage for high-value items like art, jewelry, or electronics due to their increased theft risk. It is common for the single article limit to be capped at £1,000 so consider removing these high value items and putting them in a secure location.


Buying short term unoccupied property insurance

Most clients simply need short-term peace of mind when their property is unoccupied.

That's why we've made it easy to arrange short term unoccupied property insurance. 

Here's how it works:

  • Pick your term: Choose from convenient cover periods of 3, 6, 9, or 12 months. No need to guess the exact duration, just opt for the option that gives you adequate time on cover.
  • Change of plans? No sweat. Life happens, and sometimes plans change. If you need to cancel your policy early, we won't charge you a cancellation fee. Plus, you'll receive a pro-rata refund for any unused cover back to your original payment method.
  • Insure with confidence: Choose a longer term and avoid the hassle of frequent renewals. Knowing your property is protected gives you one less thing to worry about.  Plus you get a refund for unused cover so you aren't missing out.

Short term unoccupied property insurance shouldn't be complicated. We've made it simple, flexible, and worry-free – just how it should be.

Get your quick quote today!

What if the unoccupied property is a commercial building?

If you are looking to arrange insurance for unoccupied property, please be aware our online product is only suitable for residential property.  

If the property you need to insure has been used for commercial purposes, such as it is a pub, shop or office, we can still help offline.

Please contact us to arrange a call with our specialist insurance broking team at SJL Insurance.

Renovating your empty property?

Most insurers require you to inform them about renovations, and navigating this can be a hassle.

At Insuristic, we simplify this!

For minor non-structural renovations (costing less than £50,000):

  • Get a quote online instantly: No need for calls or additional paperwork. We cover kitchen & bathroom updates, re-wiring, re-plumbing, and door/window replacements etc. (under £50,000 total).
  • No premium increase or underwriting delays: Enjoy seamless coverage without extra costs or waiting for call backs.

For major projects (over £50,000 or involving structural alterations to the property):

  • Apply online: Complete the information when you click 'Get a quote'.  Our underwriting team at SJL Insurance will then make contact you to provide advice.  
  • Expert guidance: The team at SJL Insurance will advise on the cover you need as well as approach multiple renovation insurance providers on your behalf.

Common unoccupied property insurance conditions

The Property Inspection Condition

If you are worried about the hassle of inspections for your unoccupied property insurance?

We get it.  Many insurance provides require inspections every 7 days, along with a written inspection report.

At Insuristic, we believe protecting your empty home shouldn't involve mountains of paperwork and unnecessary appointments. That's why we revolutionised inspections with a mobile-friendly, image-based approach.

Here's why Insuristic's inspection condition is a breath of fresh air:

  • Fewer visits, less fuss: Unlike many rivals, we only require inspections every 14 days, giving you peace of mind without the disruption.
  • Ditch the paperwork: Forget about filling out written reports. Just snap two pictures with your phone – one of the property exterior and one inside on every 14 day visit.
  • Claim with confidence: In the event of a claim, simply share the pictures taken at each inspection with your insurer. It's that simple to evidence you have complied with the inspection condition!

Draining Down Water Systems or Keeping the heating on

To prevent damage caused by an escape of water, your insurer will require you to drain down your water systems. This should be at the point of entry to the property, usually from an internal stop cock.

If you can't do this, you will need to keep the heating on to keep the property temperature to a minimum of 15 degrees.

If you don't do this and there is a claim, the level of cover provided could be reduced or excluded. For more information, please check your policy schedule.

Switching off your utility services

You unoccupied property insurance policy will require you to turn off any utility services.  The only exception to this is when electricity is needed to maintain an intruder or fire alarm.

Failing to do so could mean a claim related to the services at the property is declined.

The minimum Security Condition

When arranging insurance for unoccupied property, you should review the policy minimum security condition and ensue you can comply with it.

Insuristic has simplified this condition as far as possible.

If you are insuring less than £10,000 of contents, you will need a minimum of working locks on all windows and doors.

If you're insuring more than £10,000 of contents it is likely your policy schedule will contain the following minimum security condition:

External Doors will need either:

  • a 5 Lever Mortice Deadlocks (conforming to British Standard 3621); or

  • if a composite or UPVC type door, a multi locking point system.

Patio Doors: will need:

  • a central locking device

  • key operated bolts to top or;

  • a multi locking point system.

Windows: need key operated security locks.  These need to be on all ground floor and other accessible windows.

If you fail to keep the property secure, it could mean claims following illegal entry are declined.

Contents cover is restricted

If you are considering insurance for unoccupied property you need to understand the level of contents cover provided often isn't the same as you'd get on a standard home insurance policy:

  • The contents insurance cover provided for high value items won't be as broad. You will find the maximum sums insured for a single item can be restricted.  The reason for this is because high value items like electronic goods, art, and jewellery are highly attractive to thieves.  For this reason, you remove items like this from the property and store them securely.
  • The level of contents cover for outbuildings might also be restricted.  This is because it is easier for theives to take  items like gardening equipment, tools, lawnmowers etc. when the property is empty. Again you should remove items like this from the property and store them securely.


How much does unoccupied property insurance cost?

The easiest way is just to get a quote. With Insuristic it is likely to only take you a couple of minutes to do this.

The easiest way is just to get a quote.  Within Insuristic it is likely to only take you a couple of minutes to do this.  Buying a policy if you are happy with the price will probably take you another minute.  The policy documents will be emailed to you the moment you pay.

The cost of insuring unoccupied property depends on a number of different factors:

Duration and Coverage:

  • Length of insurance: The longer you need cover, generally, the higher the premium.
  • Cover level: Basic Bronze cover (referred to be other providers as FLEEA, covering fire, lightning, explosion, earthquake & explosion) is our lowest level of cover before Silver and Gold. The more cover you buy the higher the cost.

The property:

  • Bedrooms: More bedrooms indicate a larger property, potentially leading to higher repair costs and a higher premium.
  • Rebuild value: The estimated cost to rebuild your property after a major disaster impacts insurance pricing.
  • Location: Flood-prone areas, high crime rates, or subsidence risks can increase the cost.
  • Property condition: A well-maintained, regularly inspected property with insulated pipes is less likely to incur damage, potentially leading to lower premiums.
  • Claims history: A property with a claims history is likely to be more expensive to insure than a property that is claims free.

Insuring Unoccupied Property: Risk Management Checklist 

When insuring unoccupied property, you should consider how you can secure it and prevent costly claims:

1. Protect the Property:

  • Regular upkeep: Keep the property in good repair to avoid unnecessary claims arising from neglect.  Your insurance policy will contain a policy condition to this effect also.
  • Valuables: Remove high-value items like art, jewelry, and collections for safekeeping elsewhere.

2. Enhance Security:

  • Locking up: Ensure all windows and doors have functioning locks.  Make sure you comply with your policy's minimum security condition.
  • Alarms: Consider an intruder alarm system for additional deterrence.
  • Avoid an empty appearance:
    • Avoid overflowing mailboxes or unkempt gardens, which can signal vacancy.  Your insurance policy will contain conditions around this also.
    • Arrange mail redirection or frequent removal during inspections to maintain an occupied appearance.
    • Keep lawns and gardens neat and snow-free (in winter) to deter criminal activity.

3. Minimise Water Damage:

  • Isolate & drain the system: Drain water systems to prevent burst pipes in cold weather.
  • Heating control: If draining isn't possible, maintain a minimum winter temperature of 15°C to avoid freezing.

This will be a condition of your policy.  Failing to do either of the above can mean claims for escape of water are excluded.

4. Manage Utilities: Turn off gas, water, and electricity at the mains, except when needed for alarm systems.

5. Check contractors insurance: If hiring contractors, verify their public liability insurance.  Check they have the cover to do the work you are instructing them to do and that it is still in date.  If they damage your property or cause injury to third parties their insurance policy will handle any claims.

6. Ensure you comply with the inspection condition:  You will need to evidence the property has been inspected every 14 days in the event of a claim.  So make sure you keep on top of this, taking one picture of the outside and one inside on every visit.  Keep these images as you will need to provide them to your insurer in the event of a claim.

Always consult your specific policy documents for detailed conditions and requirements. 

Making an unoccupied property insurance claim

If you need to make a claim, don’t worry.  The team at SJL Insurance Services are only a phone call away.

Between the hours of 9am and 5pm call 01905 27775. Outside of these hours call 0121 411 0535.

We have created a short guide on what is involved in making a claim, which you can find here.

Unoccupied Property Insurance Related Pages

Unoccupied Property Insurance Related Guides

Insure unoccupied property in a couple of minutes online

Follow us on Social

Insuristic Logo

Insuristic Limited (No: 13926650), is an Appointed Representative of SJL (Worcester) Ltd, who are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority with the reference number 763599. This can be checked by visiting  Insuristic is a registered trademark. ©Copyright 2023 Insuristic Limited.  All Rights Reserved.


Interested in Insuristic Estate Protect?
Interested in Probate Pro?

Get a van or fleet insurance quote

Please Note: Our broking team at SJL Insurance will need to talk to you to discuss your requirements. This is an advised service. 

Get a painter and decorator insurance quote

Please Note: Our broking team at SJL Insurance will need to talk to you to discuss your requirements. This is an advised service. 

We are sorry that you need to make a complaint.

Please complete the form below and a senior member of our team will be in touch as soon as possible.

Get a Pub or Bar Insurance Quote

Please Note: Our broking team at SJL Insurance will need to talk to you to discuss your requirements. This is an advised service. 

Get a plumbing and heating engineer insurance quote

Please Note: Our broking team at SJL Insurance will need to talk to you to discuss your requirements. This is an advised service. 

Get an Unoccupied Property Insurance Quote

Please Note: Our broking team at SJL Insurance will need to talk to you to discuss your requirements. This is an advised service. 

Occupied House Insurance During Probate

Please Note: Our broking team at SJL Insurance will need to talk to you to discuss your requirements. This is an advised service. 

Arrange a call back

Please Note: Our broking team at SJL Insurance will need to talk to you to discuss your requirements. This is an advised service.