Unoccupied Landlord Insurance

  • Insure for 3, 6, 9 or 12 months
  • Buy online in minutes
  • No Policy Fees
  • No Cancellation Fees
  • Support from our UK based in-house claims team
Unoccupied Property Insurance

Buy Unoccupied Landlord Insurance online in a couple of minutes

What is unoccupied landlord insurance?

Unoccupied landlord insurance is a specialised type of insurance designed to protect landlords and their empty rental properties. Standard policies often won't cover a property that has been empty for more than 30 consecutive days.

Standard landlord insurance policies can sometimes exclude cover after this period, leaving you needing to find cover from an unoccupied property insurance specialist like Insuristic.

Alternatively, your existing insurer might agree to continue covering you upon payment of an increased premium, with additional policy conditions for you to comply with.

Please refer to your policy schedule to find out how long your landlord's insurance covers unoccupied property.

Here's why you might need a landlord insurance for unoccupied property:

  • Gap between tenants: Finding new tenants might take time, leaving your property empty.

  • Renovations or repairs: Renovation work could leave the property empty longer than a standard policy covers.

  • New property or vacant before renting: It may take time to secure a tenant for a new property.

  • Seasonal rentals: Holiday homes or student rentals might be empty for extended periods.

So sometimes it is worth approaching a specialist for a quote. Insuristic has developed an unoccupied home insurance policy for situations like this:

  • You can choose from 3 levels of cover: Gold, Silver or Bronze.  More on that below.

  • The policy can be arranged for a short term, 3, 6, or 9 months, or you can buy an annual policy.

  • Plus, if you need to cancel the policy early, such as because you have a tenant again, we don't charge any cancellation fees.  If you have unused cover, you will also get a pro-rata refund.

Get a quote for landlord unoccupied property insurance

  • You won't find our unoccupied home insurance on comparison sites.
  • If you don't know the property rebuild value, we can provide a quotation based on the number of bedrooms
  • Cover for non structural renovations costing less than £50,000
  • Property owner’s liability up to £2,000,000.
  • You can insure just the buildings; or
  • Extend cover to include contents
  • Property Inspections are only required every 14 days

When you get a quote from Insuristic you can:

  • Tailor the cover to suit your requirements

  • Buy cover for most types of property

We have made it easy when arranging landlord insurance for unoccupied property but if you need help, our team are only an online chat away.

How much does Unoccupied Landlord Insurance Cost?

The cost of unoccupied landlord insurance can vary depending on the provider you approach and a range of property risk factors.

The easiest way to find out is to get a quote from Insuristic.  It will only take a couple of minutes of your time.

However, if you are interested, several factors influence the price:

  • The Number of bedrooms: The more bedrooms a property has, the higher the potential repair cost. Insurers often factor this into their pricing.

  • The Property Rebuild Value: Some insurance products are priced at the cost of rebuilding the house, including professional and debris removal fees.

  • The Location of the Property: If the property is in an area known for flooding or subsidence or has a high crime rate, this will likely increase the cost.

  • Property Security: If your house has above-average security measures, such as an alarm, some insurers may offer a discount to reflect the lower risk of theft.

  • Property Maintenance: If the property is in good repair, well protected, regularly inspected, and all water pipes are insulated, the likelihood of a claim is reduced. A claims-free property will cost less than the same property with claims.

  • The level of cover you buy: Most landlord-occupied property insurance providers allow you to choose a level of cover.  The more cover you buy, the higher the cost.  You can find out Insuristic's cover options below.

Unoccupied Landlord Insurance Cover Options

The cover provided by our unoccupied landlord insurance product depends on the level of cover you have purchased. You can compare our 3 levels of cover below:
Select the level of cover you wish to learn about from the menu:

Policy information

If you want to see at a glance what is or isn't covered, please view the IPID (Insurance Product Information Document). The policy wording contains the full terms and conditions of the insurance policy. There may be other exclusions and these will be listed on your schedule.

Bronze IPID

Click to view

Silver IPID

Click to view


Click to view

Unoccupied Landlord Insurance: Risk Management

As a landlord, you know the importance of protecting your investment. This is especially true when your property is unoccupied.

Here are some key risk management tips to help you reduce the likelihood of claims on your landlord's unoccupied property insurance policy.

1. Property Maintenance:

  • Keep it in good repair: Maintain the property in a reasonable state of repair to prevent damage and potential claims. This includes fixing leaky roofs, replacing broken windows, and ensuring proper drainage.  Your insurer will expect you to do this as a policy condition.

  • Remove valuables: Empty the property of valuables, collections, art, and jewellery to avoid theft. These items are prime targets for burglars.

2. Security Measures:

  • Minimum security: Adhere to minimum security requirements as outlined in your policy. This often includes secure locks on all doors and windows and potentially alarm systems for higher-value properties. Check your policy for details.

  • Isolate water supply: Consider draining the water systems during winter to prevent burst pipes and water damage.  

  • Keep the heating on during the winter months - if you can't drain down your water systems, you must keep the property at 15° Celsius.

3. Utility Management:

  • Switch off services: When the property is unoccupied, turn off gas, electricity, and water at the mains, except for essential services like alarm systems.

4. Contractor Work:

  • Verify contractor's public liability insurance: If you have contractors working on the property, ensure they have valid public liability insurance to cover potential property damage or injuries to third parties they may cause.

5. Keeping the property looking occupied:

  • Redirect mail: Redirect any post and newspapers to avoid the appearance of an empty property. This can deter potential intruders.

  • Maintain a tidy exterior: Keep the garden and lawns tidy to give the impression that the property is occupied.

Following these risk management tips and having the right unoccupied landlord insurance can help protect your investment and avoid costly problems.

Remember: Always check your specific policy wording for detailed conditions and exclusions.


How to claim on Unoccupied Landlords Insurance

If you need to make a claim, don’t worry.  The team at SJL Insurance Services are only a phone call away.

Between the hours of 9am and 5pm call 01905 27775. Outside of these hours call 0121 411 0535.

Check out our guide on 'How to make a claim' for further information.

Why choose Insuristic when insuring unoccupied landlord insurance?

  • You are protected by the Financial Ombudsman Service should you have a complaint with any of our services. So when you buy from Insuristic you know you are in safe hands.
  • We are an independant Insurance broker and only work with A Rated Insurance Providers.
  • We have developed our insurance policy specifically for people who need unoccupied landlord insurance. Which makes it easier for you to understand the cover and buy a policy.
  • If you need to make a claim on your unoccupied home insurance policy, you will have access to our inhouse claims team. They will help you submit a claim and will manage the process from start to finish on your behalf.

Get a quote for unoccupied landlord insurance

Landlords Insurance Unoccupied Property Related Posts

Pages related Unoccupied Home Insurance pages

Useful Insurance Guides

About the Author

Rob Faulkner CEO of Insuristic

Hi, I'm Rob, CEO and Founder of Insuristic. My mission is to make insurance easier to understand and buy online.

I hold an Advanced Diploma in Insurance (ACII) which demonstrates I have a solid technical understanding of Insurance and have committed to continuous professional development. I am also a member of the Chartered Insurance Institute and hold the a Chartered Insurance Broker status.

Over the last 27 years, I have worked for insurers, insurance brokers and insurance technology businesses, specialising in product, sales and marketing.

You can find out more about me on my author page.

Follow us on Social

Insuristic Logo

Insuristic Limited is an Appointed Representative of SJL (Worcester) Ltd, who are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority with the reference number 763599.  This can be checked by visiting

Registered Office: Unit 2, 262 Walsall Road, Cannock, England, WS11 0JL.  Registered in England and Wales No: 13926650. 

Insuristic is a registered trademark. ©Copyright 2023 Insuristic Limited.  All Rights Reserved.

Interested in Insuristic Estate Protect?
Interested in Probate Pro?

Get a van or fleet insurance quote

Please Note: Our broking team at SJL Insurance will need to talk to you to discuss your requirements. This is an advised service. 

Get a painter and decorator insurance quote

Please Note: Our broking team at SJL Insurance will need to talk to you to discuss your requirements. This is an advised service. 

We are sorry that you need to make a complaint.

Please complete the form below and a senior member of our team will be in touch as soon as possible.

Get a Pub or Bar Insurance Quote

Please Note: Our broking team at SJL Insurance will need to talk to you to discuss your requirements. This is an advised service. 

Get a plumbing and heating engineer insurance quote

Please Note: Our broking team at SJL Insurance will need to talk to you to discuss your requirements. This is an advised service. 

Get an Unoccupied Property Insurance Quote

Please Note: Our broking team at SJL Insurance will need to talk to you to discuss your requirements. This is an advised service. 

Occupied House Insurance During Probate

Please Note: Our broking team at SJL Insurance will need to talk to you to discuss your requirements. This is an advised service. 

Arrange a call back

Please Note: Our broking team at SJL Insurance will need to talk to you to discuss your requirements. This is an advised service.