Vacant Home Insurance

  • For vacant homes in the UK
  • Insure for 3, 6, 9 or 12 months
  • Choose from 3 levels of cover
  • No Cancellation or Policy Fees
Vacant Home Insurance

Insure a vacant home online in a couple of minutes

Whats on this page

On this page you will find a lot of useful information to help you arranging vacant home insurance.

If you have questions you may find they are answered on this page. If not, start a chat or contact us. You can click on any of the items in 'Contents' to jump to the section that interests you.


Why choose Insuristic for vacant home insurance?

  • You are protected by the Financial Ombudsman Service should you have a complaint with any of our services. So when you buy from Insuristic you know you are in safe hands.
  • We are an independent Insurance broker and only work with A Rated Insurance Providers.
  • We have developed our insurance policy specifically for people who need to insure a vacant home.
  • If you need to make a claim, you will have access to our inhouse claims team. They will help you submit a claim and will manage the process from start to finish on your behalf.

Benefits of insuring a vacant home with Insuristic

  • You won't find our vacant home insurance on comparison sites.
  • Choose from 3 levels of cover
  • Most people can get a quote in a couple of minutes
  • If you don't know the building rebuild value, we can still provide a quote based on the number of bedrooms in the property.
  • Cover for non structural renovations costing less than £50,000
  • Property owner’s liability up to £2,000,000.
  • You can insure just the buildings; or
  • Extend cover to include contents
  • Property Inspections are only required every 14 days

Vacant Home Insurance Cover Options

You can choose from 3 levels of cover when insuring a vacant home with Insuristic. Bronze, Silver or Gold. You can compare the different 3 levels of cover below:
Select the level of cover you wish to learn about from the menu:

Property Inspection Frequency

Vacant properties face increased risks of fire, theft, water damage, and other potential claims. This is why regular inspections are crucial to safeguard your property and interests.

With Insuristic, you'll enjoy simplified inspection procedures.

Unlike most insurance providers:

  • The property will only need inspecting every 14 days (unless you have purchased a Probate House Insurance Policy, which is every 30 days); and

  • We eliminate the need for extensive written reports. Instead, we rely on the convenience of mobile technology.

To ensure your property is properly inspected, simply capture two clear images with your mobile phone: one of the exterior and another showcasing the interior.

These photos serve as irrefutable proof of inspection, providing you with peace of mind in the event of a claim.

If you need to claim, simply share these images with your insurer (or our inhouse claims team) to evidence that the inspection condition has been complied with.

Cover during Renovation

Planning renovations for your vacant home?

Insuristic streamlines the process and simplifies the insurance coverage.

For renovations under £50,000 that don't involve structural changes to the walls or roof, you can obtain an online quote for your property hassle-free.

This includes renovations like kitchen or bathroom makeovers, rewiring or plumbing overhauls, or replacing doors and windows (without exceeding the £50,000 threshold).

You can include this cover during at quotation stage without increasing your premium or requiring further assessment from our underwriters.

For larger renovations, you can still fill out the quote information, but we'll need to submit these changes to our underwriters for review.

If your specific renovation needs fall outside our standard schemes, our team at SJL Insurance Services can provide tailored advice and connect you with a range of specialist renovation insurers.

With Insuristic, you can confidently proceed with your vacant home renovations, knowing your property is protected with comprehensive insurance.

Vacant Home Insurance: FAQs

What if I don't tell my insurer my home is vacant?

When your house is left vacant for prolonged periods, it faces increased risks of damage and loss. To ensure adequate protection, inform your current insurer immediately if the property will be vacant for more than 30 continuous days (check your policy schedule for exact details).

Many insurers either limit or altogether decline coverage for vacant properties due to heightened risks.

The Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) has documented several instances of claims rejections stemming from continuous vacancy.

There are examples on the FOS website where insurers denied claims due to vacancy:

  • A claim was rejected because the insurer was not notified about the vacant house.

  • A burst pipe claim was denied because the property was left empty while the owner was admitted to a hospital.

The FOS sided with the insurers in both cases, highlighting the importance of informing your insurer about vacancy.

If your house will be vacant for more than 30 continuous days, don't take chances.

Claim disputes can drag on, causing unnecessary stress and delays in receiving compensation. To avoid such issues, consider insuring a vacant home with Insuristic.

How would I cancel my vacant home insurance policy?

It is difficult to know exactly how long to insure a vacant home for. You might not know when it is going to be occupied again.

Insuristic makes this easy for you. If you purchase cover for longer than is required, you will receive a pro-rata refund for any unused cover. We won't charge you a fee for cancelling either.

To cancel, visit our contact us page:

  • Provide the information in the form and in the message field state the reason for cancellation e.g. the property is now occupied, or its been sold or you've arranged alternative insurance etc.

  • Also make sure to include the date you wish the policy to be cancelled from. We will do the rest.

  • You will receive any refund due on the card you paid with.

  • You will also receive email confirmation of the cancellation.

How much does vacant home insurance cost?

The easiest way to find out how much it costs to insure a vacant home with Insuristic is to get a quote online. It will take you a couple of minutes to get a quote and buy a policy (if you are happy with the price).

If you are interested in what other factors affect the price, here are some examples:

  • Number of Bedrooms: Larger properties generally entail higher repair and reinstatement costs, prompting insurers to incorporate the number of bedrooms into their pricing models.

  • Property Rebuild Value: Some insurance products are priced based on the estimated cost of rebuilding the entire property, including professional fees and debris removal expenses.

  • Property Location: The location of the property significantly impacts the premiums. For instance, properties located in flood-prone or subsidence-prone areas or those situated in high-crime neighborhoods may attract higher costs.

  • Level of Cover: Our lowest priced cover is Bronze. You can upgrade this cover for a higher premium to either our Silver or Gold Covers.

Is vacant home insurance different to standard home insurance?

Vacant home insurance differs from standard home insurance in several key aspects:

  • They require regular inspections: Unlike occupied properties, vacant homes require regular inspections to assess their condition and identify potential hazards. The frequency of inspections typically depends on the length of vacancy and the insurer's requirements. If you insure with Insuristic, this is usually every 14 or days (or 30 days on our probate house insurance policy).

  • It is recommended that you isolate water systems: to minimise water damage risks from leaks or burst pipes.

  • Disconnection of Energy Supply: your policy wording will require that energy supplies, including gas, electricity, and water are switched off to reduce the risk of fire, electrical faults, or frozen pipes.

  • Limited cover for contents: Insurers typically restrict the coverage provided for high-value items in vacant homes due to their increased susceptibility to theft. This often involves lower maximum sums insured for individual items, making it crucial to remove or secure valuables like art, jewelry, and electronic devices. Insuristic has a single article limit of £1,000.

What is the difference between a vacant home and an unoccupied home?

The key difference between a vacant home and an unoccupied home lies in their furnishing and intention for usage:

Vacant home:

  • Empty: No furniture or personal belongings present. It appears completely uninhabited.
  • Reason for being vacant: Could be various reasons like undergoing renovations, waiting for new occupants after being sold, or simply not fit for habitation.
  • Insurable: If in a good state of repair, you can insure a vacant home online with Insuristic in a couple of minutes.

Unoccupied home:

  • Furnished: Contains furniture and personal belongings, giving the impression that someone could return at any time.
  • Reason for being unoccupied: Usually temporary situations like vacation, work travel, or a gap between occupants.
  • Insurance: you can insure unoccupied property only on a short period basis from 3, 6, 9 or 12 months.

How does a vacant or unoccupied home differ to a derelict home?

A derelict home usually means the property is not in a habitable condition and may also be boarded up.  Whilst you can insure a vacant home on our scheme (that is in a reasonable state of repair) a insuring a derelict property will need to be considered offline.

If you have a derelict property and need help arranging insurance, we can do this offline.  Please contact us to arrange a call with a member of our broking team at SJL Insurance.

Making a claim on vacant home insurance

If you need to make a claim, don’t worry.  The team at SJL Insurance Services are only a phone call away.

Between the hours of 9am and 5pm call 01905 27775. Outside of these hours call 0121 411 0535.

We have created a short guide on what is involved in making a claim, which you can find here.

Buy vacant home insurance online in a couple of minutes

Related Insurance Pages

Vacant Home Insurance Related Guides

About the Author

Rob Faulkner CEO of Insuristic

Hi, I'm Rob, CEO and Founder of Insuristic. My mission is to make insurance easier to understand and buy online.

I hold an Advanced Diploma in Insurance (ACII) which demonstrates I have a solid technical understanding of Insurance and have committed to continuous professional development. I am also a member of the Chartered Insurance Institute and hold the a Chartered Insurance Broker status.

Over the last 27 years, I have worked for insurers, insurance brokers and insurance technology businesses, specialising in product, sales and marketing.

You can find out more about me on my author page.

Follow me on Social

Follow us on Social

Insuristic Logo

Insuristic Limited (No: 13926650), is an Appointed Representative of SJL (Worcester) Ltd, who are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority with the reference number 763599. This can be checked by visiting  Insuristic is a registered trademark. ©Copyright 2023 Insuristic Limited.  All Rights Reserved.


Interested in Insuristic Estate Protect?
Interested in Probate Pro?

Get a van or fleet insurance quote

Please Note: Our broking team at SJL Insurance will need to talk to you to discuss your requirements. This is an advised service. 

Get a painter and decorator insurance quote

Please Note: Our broking team at SJL Insurance will need to talk to you to discuss your requirements. This is an advised service. 

We are sorry that you need to make a complaint.

Please complete the form below and a senior member of our team will be in touch as soon as possible.

Get a Pub or Bar Insurance Quote

Please Note: Our broking team at SJL Insurance will need to talk to you to discuss your requirements. This is an advised service. 

Get a plumbing and heating engineer insurance quote

Please Note: Our broking team at SJL Insurance will need to talk to you to discuss your requirements. This is an advised service. 

Get an Unoccupied Property Insurance Quote

Please Note: Our broking team at SJL Insurance will need to talk to you to discuss your requirements. This is an advised service. 

Occupied House Insurance During Probate

Please Note: Our broking team at SJL Insurance will need to talk to you to discuss your requirements. This is an advised service. 

Arrange a call back

Please Note: Our broking team at SJL Insurance will need to talk to you to discuss your requirements. This is an advised service.